Thursday, September 15, 2011

Conundrum


Whether you are 14 or 40, your identity is at once obvious and obscure - for most people, at least. When deciding on this year's curricular themes with colleagues, there was no inkling how close to home the "identity" theme would end up being for me. As I ask my students to examine and reflect on their own identity through stories, poems, political theories, discussions, human nature, societal influences, music, and many other lenses; little do they realize how much related introspection I do right alongside them, and because of them.

Blame it on the new 1:1 laptop program. I eat, sleep, teach, and talk technology, or so it feels some days. Armed with a dusted-off website, a brand new blog, lots of tenacity, and a healthy dose of naivety, I attempt to stay slightly ahead of my 8th graders, if on a completely different path - the slow lane, if you will. To this end, I recently shared my blog posts with students in a lesson about responsible blogging and commenting. With new rubrics in hand, they read and honestly evaluated my posts, scored each entry, and explained why I earned the score. They complimented some of my word choices and use of metaphors, though resoundingly concluded that the blog audience was not them.

Oh. Right. Audience. The same basic focus I try to instill in their writing day in and day out. Who is my audience? Why am I writing at all? The questions are pretty obvious, though frighteningly not as instinctual as they should be coming from a Language Arts and Social Studies teacher. So, my conundrum is directly related to the monumental shift in thinking about the ways we communicate, collaborate, and connect in the digital world. The options are truly as limitless and as inspiring as any cultural renaissance that has gone before.

The terrific Learning 2.011 technology and education conference held in Shanghai last weekend proved this point exactly, and added plenty of fire to my simmering consternation: Is there a way to be simultaneously protective and authentic online? Do I want my digital identity to be personal, professional, or some gratifying weave of all my life's elements? Wanting to reap the benefits of the educational potential only available by embracing digital connections force me to welcome the riddle and get out there on the digital map to make my humble mark, whatever it may be.

What are your thoughts about digital identity?

Identity TTT by Torie Leinbach @ Personal Collection (CC-BY-NC 2.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment